Accelerated Reading(AR) is a computer-based reading scheme that helps teachers manage and monitor pupils' independent reading practice. AR gives both pupils and teachers feedback based on quiz results of the book read which the teacher then uses to help children set targets and direct ongoing reading practice.
How does it work?
- Pupils take initial test.
- Pupils are given a ZPD mark –(Zone of proximal development, also called book level).
- A book level of 4.5, for example, means that the text could likely be read by a pupil whose reading skills are typical of a year 5 pupil.
Time to read
- Pupils should pick books in the ZPD and spend a minimum of 30 minutes reading per day.
- Pupils are allocated a reading time each day in pm registration of 25-30 minutes.
- Additionally, pupils are expected to read every day at home for atleast 15 minutes.
- Teachers can change the reading times on the target setting sheet.
- Pupils take the quiz. Pupils should aim to get atleast 85% of answers correct.
- Pupils’ results will mean they can move up in their ZPD.
- Pupils will receive rewards for meeting their target.
- Pupils access their own reports to see their average book level and the list of books they have read.
- This way pupils take ownership of their reading.
The pupils' progress towards their reading targets is monitored by form teachers and heads of years. Intervention is put into place at various levels to help them reach their target and develop their reading skills.
- Mentoring of pupils during AR time
- Listening to pupils read
- Supporting pupils in choice of text
- Encouraging parents to hear them read at home
- Library is open between 9am and 3.30pm on school days
- Pupils are supported in choice of text by teacher, teaching assistants and librarians
- Non-fiction and non-AR reading also encouraged
- Pupils encouraged to loan subject-specific books recommended by teachers
- Students encouraged to suggest new titles for the library
Renaissance Home Connect
Renaissance Home Connect enables parents to keep track of their child's reading and quiz progress. Details of login and access are given to parents when their child first registers on the system.
Parents can log in to Renaissance Home Connect from any computer with an Internet connection and compatible browser.
If you have any further questions about the Accelerated Reading scheme, please do not hesitate to contact the academy.