Skip to content ↓

Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)

Our Special Needs Coordinator is Ms J Rook (


Sandye Place Academy follows the SEND Code of Practice January 2015.

We aim to provide all of our pupils with a curriculum differentiated to their needs. All teachers provide work that is accessible to all abilities. They do this through careful planning and addressing a range of learning styles. All teachers can seek advice from The Special Needs Coordinator, Ms J Rook (

See our Special Educational Needs Report 18/19.

Sometimes a pupil’s needs cannot be met without the support of the SEND department.

Areas of Special Educational Need fall into four areas. These are Cognition and Learning ,Social  Emotional and Mental Health, Sensory and Physical, and Communication /Social Interaction.

After identifying you child’s needs in partnership with you, your child’s teacher and your child’s previous school, where appropriate, the Academy will provide support selected from the following:

  • 6 week tailored intervention programmes designed to give support in reading and spelling.
  • 6 week tailored intervention  programmes designed around social and emotional needs
  • Visual aids tailor made to support organisation and getting ready for learning
  • Ability groups for Maths, English and Science
  • Personal Provision Plans
  • Personal Educational Plans, reviewed termly.
  • SEND Support plan, reviewed termly with parents.
  • Mentor allocation
  • Support from a Teaching Assistant.


What if your child has/may have SEND needs? 

We will seek permission in advance, so that you have the opportunity to ask questions and raise any concerns.

For a small proportion of children, the Academy may need to involve the use of advice of specialists outside of school, again permission will be sought.

 Our SEND policy will help you to understand how we provide support.

Who is available for you to discuss your child's needs? 

The Form Tutor / Subject teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the SENDCo know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/Personal Education Plans, reviewing these at least once each term and planning for the next term. Reviews are shared with parents.
  • Personalized teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
  • Liaising with Head of Year who will refer your child for additional support after assessing your concerns.

The SENDCo/Inclusion Manager: Ms J Rook

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are:

    i) involved in supporting your child’s learning

    ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

    iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychologist.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known confidentially) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept securely.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Principal: Mr B Sale

Responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Principal will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Principal must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor: Mrs Desborough

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.
  • Keeping the Governors informed of SEND pupils’ progress.

What should I expect once my child is not making adequate progress? 

The SEND Code of Practice (2015) identifies that not all slow progress and low attainment need mean that a child has SEN. However, ‘they may be an indicator of a range of learning difficulties or disabilities’ (6.23 pg 96).  The school will investigate by:

  • the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to listen to any concerns you may have.
  • plan any additional support your child may need.
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.

How does the Academy spend the SEND funding? 

The Academy budget share is received from Education Funding Agency (EFA). High needs top up funding is received from the Local Authority and this along with a recommended 5% of the Academy’s notational funding is designated for support for pupils with SEND. Over the last three years the Academy has supplemented SEND by 13% of its notational funding.

The Principal decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors and the SENDCo on the basis of needs in the school.

The Principal and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including

  • the children getting extra support already
  • the children needing extra support
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.

The Academy identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

What type of support should I expect for my child?    

Classroom based Form tutor/Subject teacher input, via  targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child can access the learning in class alongside their peers. This may involve additional resources, more practical activities and differentiated tasks.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have monitored your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Intervention which may be:

  • 8 week intervention programmes designed to give support in reading and spelling.
  • 8 week intervention programmes designed around social and emotional needs.
  • Teaching Assistant support in class for small group work in maths, reading or writing.

This provision may take place outside the classroom with either a teaching assistant, the SENDco or other member of the Academy’s staff.

What are the categories of need? 

The SEN Code of Practice 2015 has the following categories:

 SEN Support (K)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo/Inclusion Manager/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services, such as the Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Outreach Team, Hearing Impairment service (HAST)

Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT),Occupational Therapy 

If your child is identified you will be asked to give your permission for the Academy to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

Sometimes, specified Individual support is required.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particular  type of support to address specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups. Provision will require a high level of individual or small-group teaching.

More information can be found on Central Bedfordshire website.

What happens if my child needs an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)  

The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment.  After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or support small groups including your child.

Who do I need to contact if my child does not make the progress I expect? 

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s Form tutor initially.

If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, speak to the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo).

The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.

Contact the Academy, telephone number: 01767 680420

How does the Academy monitor my child’s progress? 

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her subject teacher, Head of Department and Principal.

His/her progress will be reviewed formally with the Principal and SENDCo every term in reading, writing and maths.

  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with your child’s education.
  • The SENDCo will also check your child’s progress in English and Maths to include any intervention work too. Additionally other relevant subjects will also be checked.
  • Regular book scrutiny and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENDCo, Heads of Department and members of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). The Academy follows Government guidelines as to which pupils will be entered for these formal tests and which pupils will need special exam arrangements.
  • If a pupil has not made expected progress over two terms the pupil will have a Personal Education Plan drawn up.

SEND department -  Arrangements for assessing, reviewing and evaluating to ensure pupil progress

The SEND Code of Practice (2015) states that ‘High quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised will meet the individual needs of the majority of children and young people. Some children and young people need educational provision that is additional to or different from this.’(1.24 pg 25). Under Section 21 of the Children and Families Act of 2014 this is classed as special educational provision and this should be available to all pupils that need it. Special educational provision is underpinned by high quality teaching.

Quality First Teaching allows teachers to differentiate for your child within lessons to enable them to be fully included.  Sometimes a child with SEND may need a more targeted approach and a Personal Educational Plan (PEP) or a Send Support Plan (SSP) allows for targets to be set by individual teachers, monitored, reviewed and evaluated every term and shared with parent/carers.

Personal Educational Plan (PEP)

A PEP usually tracks the core subjects of English, Maths and Pastoral.   The class teacher will add a target that the child and the teacher work together on to ensure progress. This document is evaluated every term and, where applicable new targets are set. In line with the SEND Code of Practice (1.25 2015) this document regularly tracks progress and is shared with parents.

Send Support Plan (SSP)

A SSP ‘ensures decisions are informed by the insights of parents and those of children and young people themselves’ (1.25 SEND Code of Practice 2015).  The views of the child and parent/carers are sought whilst making this more comprehensive plan.  Targets, both long term and short term, are set by teachers/SENDco and reviewed termly with parent/carers.  The child’s voice is heard strongly in this type of planned support.

The SEND department also runs interventions in conjunction with the English and Mathematics departments.  Interventions follow the Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle and this is more fully explained on our SEND report (link). These interventions are carefully targeted to meet the individual needs of the child. 

The SENDco tracks the progress of all children in core subjects that are on the SEND register.  Any child that has not made two steps progress in the first academic term is highlighted to the class teacher and the SENDco discusses ways, with the class teacher, to overcome barriers.  Support is given to the class teacher, as necessary.  This, in turn, produces a system in which the child is at the heart of their education and the effectiveness of the provision is always being questioned, to ensure a tailored and highly effective curriculum.

How do I know that the teachers are able to support my child? 

The SENDCo supports the subject teacher/Teaching Assistant in the provision for pupils with SEND.

The Academy provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) pupils who find concentrating difficult, dyslexia, dyspraxia, hearing impairment and Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD).

How does the Academy support you? 

Your child’s Form teacher and/or subject teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

The SENDCo/Inclusion Manager is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

Personal Education Plans/SEND Support Plans/will be reviewed and shared with you. You will be fully involved.

Homework can and will be adjusted as needed to meet your child’s individual requirements.

A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed.

What do we do for pupils with social and emotional needs? 

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiety, and being uncommunicative.

All classes follow a structured personal development curriculum. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer

In-school provision carried out by our Parent Support Adviser, SENDco, School Counsellor and Teaching Assistants

This may be:

  • Indoor Club at lunchtime.
  • Circle of Friends
  • 6 week intervention programme working on areas such as confidence, accommodating others, self esteem,social skills
  • Anger management group
  • Counselling sessions ( up to 15 weeks)
  • Anxiety management group
  • Drop in sessions regarding health and concerns regarding bullying.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENDCo will access further support through the EHA( Early Help Assessment) .

What happens when my child is joining the Academy ? 

If your child is joining us from another school:

The School Admissions Code of Practice (2015) requires children and young people with SEN to be treated fairly. In order for this to be achieved, the admissions process must be adhered to:

  • Sandye Place Academy must consider applications from parents of children who have SEN but do not have an EHC plan on the basis of the school’s published admissions criteria as part of Central Bedfordshire’s admissions procedures.
  •  Sandye Place Academy must not refuse to admit a child who has SEN but does not have an EHC plan because they do not feel able to cater for those needs.
  • Sandye Place Academy must not refuse to admit a child on the grounds that they do not have an EHC plan. 1.28  of The Equality Act (2010) prohibits schools from discriminating against disabled children and young people in respect of admissions for a reason related to their disability.

No child will be excluded from Sandye Place Academy as a result of any Special Educational Needs or Disability. Children in receipt of an Education, Health and Care Plan which names Sandye Place Academy as the provision will be admitted even if the school is full.

  • Transition meetings are scheduled between SENDCos to share and exchange information on needs and strategies to support your child.
  • Pupils with an existing EHC plan will be admitted per our Academy admissions policy which is in line with Central Bedfordshire co-ordinated admission scheme.

What happens when my child is leaving the Academy? 

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
  • SENDCo will invite the receiving school SENDco to relevant meetings, e.g. Annual review of EHCP pupils during year 8
  • SENDCo will attend any meetings that the receiving school arranges.
  • We will make sure that all records/plans pertaining to your child are passed on as soon as possible.

How accessible is this school for my child? 

  • The Academy is fully compliant with The Equality Act of 2010. (Audit by Ridge Property and  Construction Consultants).        
  • Some of our classrooms are upstairs. There is no lift. Where this is the case room changes to a ground floor classroom can be made.
  • The front desk has a wheel-chair height section and is DDA compliant.
  • There is a disabled toilet.
  • We ensure, wherever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs. Specialist equipment can be supplied by the SEND department. 
  • Extra-curricular activities including Easter and Summer Camps are accessible for children with SEND.
  • Our Accessibility Plan 

Additional SEND information 

The Legislation in a nutshell

All children and young people are entitled to an education that enables them to:

• achieve their best;

• become confident individuals living fulfilling lives; and

• make a successful transition into adulthood, whether into employment, further or higher education or training.    

"The majority of children and young people with SEND have their needs met through mainstream education providers and will not need Education, Health and Care plans(EHCP). Mainstream providers have general duties under Part 3 of the Children and Families Bill." Quoted from the  SEND Code of Practice 2015

Under the  Children and Families Bill 2014 , Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.  The school SEN information report utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by academy policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

Special Educational Needs Report 18/19